Tuesday, January 20, 2009

School has started


I'm back in the swing of things (oh and swing dancing on monday nights). It's weird to be back after 4 weeks. I spent some time wondering if I would like to transfer to a more art focused school. I have a hard time making the decision even though I have been told that if I set my mind to it I could make a living out of art. I feel that if I go to an art school I would be set on that career for life. Although that reasoning isn't correct, it has a big sway in my thinking. In my mind transfering to an art school is like applying for a career. It's a big change which scares me. This is all just trying to interpret myself; I don't know for sure if this is really what makes me nervious about switching schools. Coming back to UPS really reminded me of how much I love the school. During a national portfolio day at Cornish I talked with a representative of Art Center (the school I would be most likely to transfer to as they seem to be one of the best schools for the field I'm interested in (entertainment design(I thought environmental design before the guy corrected me))). He told me that I need to show more exploration on the designs I do. Hopefully I will be including varations on some of my new designs and iterating through them to find the best piece. I sort of always knew that I should be doing this but just plain didn't feel like it but after all I used to get bored if I spent too much time on a drawing so I will eventually enjoy doing variations.

No comments: